A Duluth Minnesota couple who went missing on July 29, 2017, were found dead in their vehicle. Police say Ronald Tarnowski was in the early stages of dementia while his wife had right side paralysis due to a stroke. A personal GPS tracker may have saved the couple.
After a week-long search, Ron and Mary Tarnowski were discovered dead in a swampy area in Duluth on Aug. 5. The couple was married for 59 years. – The Washington Post
After a week long search, volunteers discovered the dead couple in a swampy area in Duluth on August 5. Apparently, they may have taken a wrong path and ended up getting stuck on a swampy trail in a remote area.
Even though this heart-wrenching story happened in Minnesota, it could have been anywhere in the world. The untimely death of this couple and other similar cases are preventable. In hindsight, if the family had the forethought to install a tracking device in their family car as well as personal bracelets for each parent, they would have been found sooner and possibly rescued on time.
Elderly loved ones who develop dementia or a condition that involves memory loss like Alzheimer’s, require constant supervision. It used to be that assisted living was the only way to ensure that your loved one was safe. However, with advancements in personal GPS tracking and home automation technology, it is now possible for elderly patients who suffer from Alzheimer’s and dementia to live much less assisted lives, oftentimes even in the comfort of their own homes.
Those suffering memory losses are prone to wander or become disoriented, sometimes so much they roam where no one can find them. This was the case with Ron and Mary Tarnowski. It is assumed that Ron took Mary with him for a short drive. But for one reason or other, Ron may have got disoriented and wandered off in a wrong direction. This is where GPS trackers and senior wearables could have come in handy. With a vehicle or personal GPS tracker, the Tarnowskis’ could have been located sooner thus saving their lives.
There are now more convenient solutions. Thanks to the popularity of smartwatches and similar devices, many forms of tech gadgets are being slimmed down into wearable forms. I’m talking about senior wearables and location trackers designed for this exact purpose.
Why Are They Necessary?
Many seniors prefer to be independent, living in a home or apartment they’ve known for years. The problem with this is if anything were to happen nobody would know, or it would take a while before someone found out. Trackers allow family, friends, or caretakers to monitor seniors remotely. The same devices exist for children and even pets.
Senior wearables often have an emergency or SOS feature that will call for help at the touch of a button. When you’re living on your own, without anyone nearby, a device like this could save your life.
Like smart watches, many of the devices offer extra functionality, like the ability to call or message friends and family.
Benefits of Personal GPS Tracking Device
Personal GPS tracking units can easily be attached to a person or vehicle and help to keep your loved ones in the loop. These devices provide their wearers and locators a great deal of peace of mind and sense of security and reassurance. Of all the reasons to get a GPS tracking device, the most important cases may be:
- To keep your family safer – There is nothing more important in your life than your family. Any extra measures we can take to ensure their safety are worth it.
- One in 10 people over the age of 65 have some form of memory loss. This means that many elderly people may forget where they are or what they are doing. With GPS trackers, you can make sure you know where they are in case of an emergency. This will help keep your loved ones safe while allowing them to continue being independent.
- Child tracking devices are not meant to invade your kid’s safety, but to help keep them safe. There is nothing more assuring than knowing that everyone in your family is out of harm’s way. With GPS tracking devices for kids, you will not only be less worried, but you will also have more time to relax.
- Geofence reminders – The geofence solution is not only good for alerting you when you can’t find something or someone, but it is also good for reminders. For instance, you can set up a geofence of a given a radius around your loved one’s residence. And if they walk outside the radius, you will be notified by email or SMS that the loved one has crossed and gone outside the Geofence.
- Follow active and healthy family members on cross country trips, adventures or races. When a family member decides to go on a cross country trip or adventure, it could be very crucial to know where they are. People sometimes get lost or hurt while hiking in the wilderness. With the help of a GPS tracker, you could find them faster and ensure that their trip is safer and more enjoyable.
As stated above, there are several ways you can take advantage of GPS. Family safety is at the very top of that list. It is always worth keeping the ones we care and love for safe. Money should not be a big concern as there are cheaper solutions to fit one’s pocket.
There is no better time to take action than right now! If you had the ability to further protect your family with a simple solution, why wouldn’t you?